Tuesday, 20 February 2018

A new Art Cloth

Yeah!  I finished the art cloth I started at Littleheath Barn in the Autumn of 2106.  You can read about its progression here, here and here.  And even here!   I hadn't realised I had shared about it so often!  Anyway, it's finished and if you want to see the finished piece you can see it at the NEC in March.  I was determined to finish it before I started Liske's new and extended course.  And I did!

There are 5 sessions to the new course with lots of exciting screenprinting ideas.  I'm really looking forward to it.  At the first session Liske encouraged us to do some sketchbook work.  She had also suggested beforehand that we choose our favourite artist as inspiration.   My favourite, favourite is Turner.  I love all his work but particularly his Venice pictures.  Although I think I've still got several pieces of work I could make based on Venice, I really didn't want to use Venice as the art cloth inspiration.  Liske suggested I used the colours rather than the place as inspiration.

I had taken other inspiration with me.  I had taken the book with me that I made for Finding Sanctuary.  This uses the same colours but is about Florida.

I started by looking at the Neocolor II crayons I had and then the dyes.

I did some work in the sketchbook.  Some of the pages shown are just painted with the leftover dye at the end of the day.  I used a patterned roller with white acrylic paint on the left hand page

I used a star stamp on the right side page with copper acrylic paint.





I thickened the dyes with manutex and then painted it onto the fabric.  I decided only to paint sample pieces so I still have another piece of fabric for the piece of work.

This sample has the acrylic paint on it, whilst I didn't use it on the one above.

Before we finished we set up a screen for breakdown printing next time.

I'm really looking forward to the breakdown printing.

Thanks for joining me today.
Bernice

Saturday, 17 February 2018

Collages at C2C

In my earlier blog post about playing with 6 pieces of paper to make random collages I ended up with this piece.

I photocopied it in black & white.

I enlarged this and made several copies.   I cut two of the copies and joined them together. I then cut the two pieces up expanding them on a black background.

When I had finished gluing it together I looked at it from different angles and decided I liked this way up best:

Then I cut it again and expanded it using a red background.

With another set of photocopies of the original turquoise collage I assembled the two together in a different configuration.

  I cut the two copies again and expanded the pieces.


I decided to keep it in the horizontal view.  However it was obvious that the black spaces were too wide so I started playing with some orange paper.

I got a bit stuck with the composition about now!

After some discussion with the whole group about composition I ended up with this.


The last of the collages I'm sharing with you is the one that I think is the one most likely to be made in fabric although I'm not sure how yet.  It's actually made from bits of left over papers and photocopies.  Leslie helped quite a bit with the composition.  I had looked at samples of her design work and was trying to come up with a rectangular piece that was completely covered in elements.  Leslie suggested taking away bits and not trying to make a perfect rectangle.  We ended up with this which is much more my style.

When I glued the collage down I put it onto a piece of black paper but the black edges are too small.  I've added some more black using a photo editor to see what it might look like and it does improve it.

I hope you have enjoyed looking at some of the activities I played with at Committed to Cloth. I enjoyed it so much I have signed up to go again next January.

Thanks for joining me today.
Bernice


Tuesday, 13 February 2018

Playing at C2C

As you know I love to make books so it was lovely at Committed to Cloth to be encouraged to make a book.

The activity started with us attaching a scratchy old paintbrush to a stick and drawing on a large sheet of paper using black India Ink.

When the first side was dry I worked on the other side using diluted ink.  When that was dry I used a needle pen to write words and also added some circles.

I cut the large sheet of paper up into different sizes.

I added orange ink and white acrylic and some painted papers randomly to pages.


I assembled the book and after stitching the signatures together I wouve thread through each of the signature threads to make the book.

Here's a video flip through of the finished book.


Thanks for joining me today.
Bernice