Tuesday, 30 July 2019

Master Practitioner Module 2

My last course update was about recording a walk in black and white.   Originally I was going to continue with the black and white theme into the samples and the final piece.  However I eventually decided I would use colour after all.  I started with some black and white samples and then moved into colour.

Printing was another theme through this work.  Home made stamps printed onto fabric, using my inkjet printer to print photos onto fabric and breakdown printing.

The samples are 10 x 15cms. They are mounted on a folded recycled cloth backed map.

Each rectangle holds a sample that includes a background I have made or dyed with some stitching to try out different patterns. Each of the 12 samples was originally 15 x 20cms which were cut in half to fit the map folds and different stitch patterns were used on each.

The closed map with printed fabric cover.

Cotton poplin, acrylic paint stamped using small square of Perspex. The sample was made on the reverse of the fabric as that had a more interesting pattern. The piece on the right has hexagons cut out and bondawebbed on. The painted side of the fabric was used for the hexagons. The paint made the fabric very stiff and difficult to stitch through.

Cotton poplin background with .one layer of cotton poplin backing. Hexagons cut from stamped fabrics using fabric paints. Straight stitch, running stitch

Hand made silk paper with a B&W photograph transferred with Bondaweb and rubbed off. Images are not clear unless you hold the paper up to the light.  Running stitch. Still trying out the pattern on the left. Random stitching on the right.

A paper collage photographed and printed on to silk using an inkjet printer. Cotton poplin backing with heavy sew-in interfacing between.Straight stitch on left in various areas of the print. Running stitch along the lines of the collage

Photograph printed onto silk using an inkjet printer. Nuno felted. Cotton poplin backing. Running stitch

Hand made silk paper with a colour photograph transferred with Bondaweb and rubbed off. Images are not clear unless you hold the paper up to the light. Straight stitch on the left to outline bridge and straight stitch to add ‘grasses’. Random running stitch on the right.

Coloured paper collage, photographed and printed onto cotton poplin, using an inkjet printer. Layered with heavy sew-in interfacing and cotton poplin backing. Straight stitch on the left to add ‘grasses’ and running stitch on the right.

Batik on tissue. Tissue paper collage. Waxed, bleached and coloured. Straight stitches to add texture

Printed and bought fabric and paper collage. Glued together with cold water paste. Machine stitching and hand stitching.

Small rectangles of breakdown printed fabric bondawebbed to cotton poplin. Layered with heavy sew-in interfacing and cotton poplin backing. Running stitch on the left. Machine stitched on the right.

Breakdown printed fabric with cotton poplin backing. On the left, one thickness of twine. On the right, two pieces together.

Pieces of breakdown printed fabric machined together. Then layered on felt and cotton poplin backing.  On the left, seams not showing and machine stitched quilting. On the right, original seams showing, machine quilted.

All of the samples together.

Next time I'll tell you about the final piece I'm planning to make from all this sketchbook work and sample making.

Thanks for joining me today.
Bernice


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you decided to work with cour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these, they make such a comprehensive collection. Breakdown print fabrics are fab!

    ReplyDelete

I would love you to leave me an encouraging comment. Thanks.